Tuesday, March 20, 2007

end of first furring trip 1931

As we landed our dory in the landwash back home . My older brother Gilbert came down to meet us also my younger sister Alice.Edwin was just under five years old at the time so he chased them down also. I remember Gilbert having a big wad of tobacco in his mouth. I was acting kind ob big after being gone a month in the country I thought I was above everyone else. I said so you got a chew have you? he answered yes. I was the first on in the house Mom put her arms around me and started to ask questions about how I got on. I started to tell her what we got I got one muskrat uncle got three weasels and two muskrats pop got a bear a for and a I could not remember the other one but she cut in right away an otter. I said yes. Now for the bad news. on the next day after we left conne. mom went stark raving mad there was nothing they could do for her they had to lash her to the bed for fear she would drown herself. there was only Gilbert and Alice with her first. the both of them could just hold her because she used to go for the landwash. had she got away she would surely have drowned herself. at last some one saw them and got help. they took her in the house and tied her to the bed. Gilbert told us George benoit came up with a cure. he said tie a long rope on her and let her go if she wants to go over board let her go but pull her back before she drowns. if it wasn't so serious it would be laughable. that is what I meant when I mentioned on the second day after we left. had pop known what waht was taking place at home it would have ended our hunting trip that year. Nobody knew what was wrong with her there was no doctor around anywhere. Mom said a lot of people would come some right brazen would come and look right in her face and say you knows me dont you? but she said all she could see was their twisted faces like ugley monsters she said this would terrify her she had no place to go to get away from them this lasted over three weeks. but when we got home all was normal again you would never tell there had been anything wrong. this was the last time this ever happened to her for the rest of her long life. Now back to home life again we had no furs just the one otter and a red fox might be two dollars in all. Pop took these over to st albans a four mile rowe in a dory could not pay his bill at Bill Colliers store. Bill was good enough to let him have a little food for the next trip which would be as soon as he was ready. this was the early part of november Gilbert wanted to go with him this time.Gilbert was a person would never let be said that I did more then him. I think this was the only reason he went. Because I think but I'm not sure this was the first the only trip he ever did make. Giulbert hated staying any longer then one night no longer then two nights anyway. I did skip the next fall btu after pop left I wish I had went I made sure from then on I would be with him every fall. On that trip did a little better. this trip lasted only three weeks because all the gear was set up. I remember after he came out that fall he must have done pretty good with the furs . because he rowed to st albans but when he came back he hired a motor boat to bring him back Father St. Croix motor boat Reg Willcott was the boat operator pop called him up the house fed him a good meal and paid him. I dont know how much it cost. but not more then a dollar because gas was selling fot nine cent a gallon those days. pop had flour pork tea and sugar most important pound of of Beaver tobacco. this was four plugs as we used to say then.I remember as if today we were out playing around the house mom called us for supper when we sat at the table there was a plate for esch of us. it had sort of milky water ans a few flakes of something floating around it. boy did it ever tast good for years I wondered what the flakes was many years after we had some corn flakes as soon as I tasted it I knew what mom had for our supper many years before. It was the first time I found out what it as. so it ends so far.

No comments: