Saturday, February 24, 2007

continueing furring trip 1931

Every morning pop used to get up make a fire in the wigwam. then the first thing he would do was climb this tree and look around. One of the few mornings he did not get up this was sunday. I awoke up saw he was still lying there I felt right big I jumped out and ran for the tree and climbed up it was a nice sunny morning not cold I sat on a limb for about half hour. I glanced down from my perch and saw flames shooting from the roof of the wigwam the birch rind was afire. I shouted as hard as I could All afire in about four seconds pop came out the door of the wigwam with a packing camp draped over his head. [packing camp a square piece of cotton duck for making our bundle] this also we we used for our door. you would just flick it to one side when you go in or out. this time pop came out through it. we happed to have some water there so he doused the fire with it. what happened was Uncle Charley got up made on a fire lay back and went to sleep again. he did not bother to move some birchrind that was close by the fire. what happens to birch rind when it's too close to heat it rolls up if it's on a little bump it will roll down if your fire is down side it will roll close to the fire and catch afire also catching other near things afire then it spreads this time the closes thing to it was the side of the wigwam it was also covered with birch rind. After pop got the fire out he hauled on his skinboots went out and climbed the tree. in about a minute he hurridely came down the tree without saying a word he took his gun and went out the path for the open marsh. after he left I scrabbled up the tree looked all around saw nothing after awhile I saw pop behind some spruce tucks about half a mile away then I saw a deer. saw Pop take aim and fire as. I watched the deer run off it went a short ways and fell down. I watched as pop hauled the paunch out of the deer took some meat and the head I stayed there till pop got close to the droke the came down and waited. I was close to nine years old but I was good at climbing trees. that evening pop swong the head. a funny way to say it. this was where you would hang the head close by the fire on a long string a short piece of wire would be used close to the fire so it would not burn off. after it was set up you lay back and spun the head around it would keep slowly spinning around one way then the opther. as it slowed down you wouild give it a little nudge with the poker to keep it spinning [ poker a piece of birck stick about three feet long one inch diameter. used to poke the fire. I got to mention something here before I forget it one time we camped with uncle john Benoit and ruben stride. Uncle john cut a poker a spiece of birch. like I discribed above. he took his crooked knife and drew or cut all the bark off it unknown to us he intentionly left a small speck of bark on one end hardely noticable you would not notice it if you were not told. he put it on his side of the camp. after awhild larry went in his camp while going in he took up the poker turned around and through habit poked at the fire. Uncle john was standing there talking as larry poked the fire uncle john jumped right over the fire grabbed the poker from larry grabbed his blanket and started to wipe the ashes off the poker. frightened Larry. he said look what you done you put the wrong end of the poker in the fire did you not see the piece of rind I left that part had to go in the fire. boy you going to bring us bad luck.
getting back to the deers head. it would take about five or six hours to cook the head . usually it would be ready about twelve or one o'clock in the night. how I hated it when they used to call me up I wopuld be too sleepy to eatpop used to say go back to sleep we'll leave some for you. They would always leave the tongue for me and of course the brains the brains I liked better.
At this wigwam we would only stay one night if it was not a sunday we never travelled on sundays. every sunday Pop used to read the new testement. he was not a good reader but I understood it. so I was well versed in the bible at a very young age. I remember that sunday night I dreamed about an aeroplane seems in my dream the plane for some reason went right straight up in the air. next morning monday morning we left just coming daylight as we came out of the droke we saw a partridge I dont knoe why but pop put a shell into his gun and fired at the partridge. it went straight up in the air right out of sight all of a sudden I remembered my dream. from then on I would always dream something to compare to what would happen the next day. this went on till it became weird and frightening. we walked on down a hill to a place called signy sigh. I will never know why this place was called so. but it was a nice pond always beavers there I thind this was what made it so attractive.

No comments: