Thursday, February 22, 2007

continuing with my first furring trip 1931

We stayed fopt the night at this wigwam going through the same swarm of spiders. but by now I was used to feeling a large spider crawling down my shirt. I would just pull out the tail of my shirt and skake the spider out.this wigwam was situated in swamp and spruce marsh land not to my liking I loved the ones that was in a droke on high barren ground. where you could go out on a rock and see for miles. I was always on the lookout for animals.
We left crow brook early the next morning continuing to set out our gear. our next stop would be John Louis-ek really loved this place here was a large sort of log cabin here again was the next main stop over we would probabely stay here for two or three days Pop had two or three off shoots where he set out otter traps and fox snares. he would perhaps mane a set of otter moulds. because any furs we caught on our next trip around checking out gear would be dried here. there was also good bear groung in the area. but on this trip we did not see any bear. we did catch a glimpse of one on the way here but by the time we got where we saw it was gone and we did not stop to look around beacuse it was evening and we wanted to got to the cabin. there was a well worn path leading from the barren ground in to the cabin.a few big rabbit paths this I would always notice because I always set a snare or two. Pop was not fussy about Rabbits but he would eat some if I caught one and cooked it.we went over the same routine hear again boughing the bunks cooking supper wallow through the spiders.I loved this place as I did many others. I had not yet fired a shot gun. this would come later.this trip we only stayed here for two days.the next morning we left early again our next stop would be slide hang up.why they did not give it a micmac name again I dont know.we traveled up beautiful country on the south side of through hill. up at the top was a very large rock it was split at the bottom and joined at the topyou could walk in one side and out the other about twenty feet this is why the called it trough hill before my time our people used to leave messages here and perhaps a piece of tobacco anything they left would be wrapped in birch rink[bark] usually a not saying when they were here. we had a string of otter traps along the way. out towards the western end we came to a great big open. thousands of partridge berries partridge by the hundreds which Pop never bothered with he did kill one with his walking stick once because I asked him to grumbling now you have to eat it. which I did that evening. as we turned left to top a rise the sun was shining beautiful just right of us was a big cross about twenty feet high I was really surprised when I saw it because as far as I knew Pop did not put it there or he would surly have told us about it I asked him how did that get there he said Bert Organ put it there this surprised me more then ever because I thought nobody was ever in this country except us. seem bert was there sometime before with some surveyers, any way he did not talk too much about it and I forgot about it. we went on down the other side of the barren ground to where another wigwam was this was slide hang up. that's what they used to call it anyway. this wigwam was in another beautiful spot dry ground a big tall fir tree close by where pop and I used to climb to the top for a lookout. Uncle charley wouldn't dare climb a tree too scared.

No comments: