Monday, February 26, 2007

furring trip continued 1931

the next morning I awoke to the sound of what must have been half dozen night owels all around the shack when pop nade in the fire they went wild seems like they were trying to out dfo each other making all kinds of sounds. Pop made brealfast pan cakes and with some left over beaver liver and tail the guts [entrails] were added to this a real feast. as I mentioned there were some good bear grounds up on the mountain. Pop said today I go look for bear. You fellows fool around close by don't get lost . Pop knew how easy it was for uncle charley to get lost. He left so did we. we went out to set some muskrat traps and some for snares making sure our camp droke was in sight all the time this was easy because it was all open country.we took our lunch with us Uncle charley was like that he would boil the kettle even if we were only half a mile from the shack. we got back just after dinner. I was fooling around near the shack looking for rabbit paths aroung two o'clock in the afternoon when I heard a shot way up on the mountain. knowing pop was gone bear hunting I had this wonderful feeling of expectation I cant explain but it was like I knew pop had shot a bear. a little after four o'clock pop came back he had the full bear pelt [skin with all the fat on it] we never used to eat much bear maet so he only brought couple meals but he did bring the kydneys. they are delicious when fried. thay are made up of alot of small kidney like meat but by god look out when they are frying because they splatter awful. your hand would be all reb burned spots by the time you get them cooked. but that did not bother us.we stayed there the next day as well because pop sculped all the fat off the bear skin, [sculp] seprate all the fat from the shin. then he weht and set out some otter traps noty too far outbecause he said there were some good otter rubs he knew of [rubs] a place where otters keep sliding in the water till the ground is right smooth. I said we did not eat much bear meat but that evening uncle charley fried some for supper. I devoured some I awoke up three o'clock the next morning doubled up with pains in my stomach. I had to go out in the dark sleepy and frightened. trying to have a bowel movement but was bound up solid there I was squatted down bawling for more then a hour with no movement. I hunched up in the shack snooching nobody could sleep nor could anyone do anything for me. pop made breakfast they had theirs but I could not touch anything. we left when it came daylight pop took the bear all his stuff he also took my little bundle.[pack] because I was too sick we travelled all before noon with me not feeling any better. we boiled the kettle they ate but I still could not. around two o'clock that evening my bowels moved I squatted behind a rock pop must have been watching because I hear him say by he's loosening up now he was just as anxious as I was because I was just a little fellow miles away from civelization ? we were heading bact to aus-too beag. our home telt as we called it.it was near dark when we got there I was beginning to feel a bit better. my stomach was not paining or crampy.

No comments: