Saturday, February 10, 2007

continuing with my first furring experience Sept 1931

We paddled on up muddy steady. we came to a grassy widening of the steady like wetlands. Here balck ducks gathered in the thousands we did not bother to take any since we had a good supply of deer meat. we came to the foot of the rapids real wild rapids. above a high bank was another what I call tradetional camping ground. we took all our stuff out of the canoe ans started to make camp going through the same routine as before Pop putting up camp I getting fir boughs Uncle Charley cooking supped . Uncle Noel said I go over to the old shack tonight. pointing to an old lean too.Uncle John Benoit ha built it many years before . the reason he did not camp by our camp this night was. we had no pork but he did [ this I spoke about somewhere before] when supper was on Uncle Noel came over to our camp with the deers udder. he had drained one teat. the biggest one. Pop drained the rest in our kettle and boiled it. We did not throw the udder away this would be another meal. may sound gross and barbarous but this was the way we lived in those years. WEe had fried meat for supper more like roast because we had no pork or grease. Pop said now if we had some pork. I bet Ubcle noel got some. I crept over to the shack and peeped inthrough a chinkre suere enough he was frying pork. Uncle Noel aan Indian but not so generous as his sister Aunt Mary Louis.

1 comment:

Dan Jeddore said...

Thank you for your stories dad ... and thank you Rene for helping dad. I suspect you have something to do with this so thank's. Good luck DaddyO and keep writing. All my kids have the link and is reading it as I type.