Saturday, February 24, 2007

furring trip 1931 continued

we continued on this time we were heading for this one is hard to spell it wont br right. but I'll try to spell it as it sounds. ta-we-gon cheech. This name I still dont know what it means. but here again was a smaller log cabin. as we were nearing this cabin Pop noticed a pond up left he said there was beavers in the pond. we walked to where it was sure enough there was a great big beaver house. Pop stood by the beaver dam told us to go drive them out. we did the first one came out broke water in mid pond Uncle charley took his gun but didn't fire if he did we would not have got the beaver. It dove and the next time it came up was where pop was he shot it pulled it ashore. the next one did not come up till it was where pop was again he shot it. as he pulled it ashore he shouted thats enough to go to jail for. if caught this was surely to be a jail sentence. And I dont think he ever did trust Uncle charley. though he had no reason not to.Pop sculped the two beavers this is where you take the bone out the same as they do with a seal. he took out both livers cut out the gall bladder which was almost as big as a cup held it in his hand snipped off the top told me to come here and open my mouth I did he stuck the end of the gall bladder in my mouth and said you will be healthy all the fall if you drink this ever the obdiet I drand it all and would have thrown my guts out if I did not force myself to keep it down. he then cut off the tails took the small intistines [what we call beaver guts] squeezed all mugin out or all the digested browse out plaited it ripped the paunch open washed it took it with us. When we got to the cabin which was only a short distance away. Pop made a fire outside the cabin took the beaver tails dipped them in water held them over the fire till they expanded like baloons then he peeled off the outer layed cut the tails in four inch peices dumped the liver and tails in our boats kettle threw in a hand full of salt and let it boil.this took only a short time to cook. by now all the taste of beaver gall was gone from my mouth I was ready to eat and eat I did till I near burst the liver and tail was real good. the intistines too longer to cook. but we had plenty time we just let it boil when pop thought it was cooked he took a small sharp stick and punched it if the stick pierced it easly it was done. he took this and wrapped it in birch rind so the jays would not get it we would eat it later.we went through the same routing the boughing bunks cutting wood brushing off spiders that fell from the rafters. by now it was dark we would lie around a bit enjoying life then turn in . pop said we might stay here again tomarrow I want to check out some bear grounds we had not yet got our bear.

No comments: